Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sisters

By Nancy of nancyrosetta

I recently commissioned local artist Ann Gorbett to interpret this photo into a painting using a palette knife and oil paints. This photo is of me and my sisters!
This print is a blowup of a Polaroid of my sisters and I (left to right: Me, Anna Kathy, Julie) from '71 or '72 that is hanging proudly at my Dad's house. Last August, my whole family converged at his house in Utah, to celebrate his 70th birthday party, and it was then that I noticed this photo. I had not seen it before, but once I did see it, I needed a copy. He most graciously complied, and the copy has been sitting in my "to frame" drawer patiently waiting for me to frame it.

I was not so pleased with the pixelly quality of the print, and so it remained in the drawer (for almost a year) until local artist Ann Gorbett brought these oil paintings in to hang at the gallery:
I enthusiastically asked her if she could do for me what she did with some old time photos from her own family. So she took her palette knife to board for me. The finished painting is a wonderful representation with awesome color and great texture. Sister approved and full of wonderful knife strokes. It has so much paint, there are places in the painting that literally come off the board, very chunky and colorful. Click the picture to enlarge to see all the wonderful texture!
I love to support local artists, and to get such a wonderful heirloom piece as this, is just icing on the cake. Ann Gorbett will be painting live at Custom Art Framing and Gallery 9 on Sept 19th from 3pm - 6pm. She is truly a genius with the palette knife, I hope you all get a chance to come and see her work.

3 comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...