Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Studio visit in Norway! Part One

by Arthur of Arthur Halvorsen Ceramics

So my sister and I are here in Norway currently until tomorrow visiting family that we have either never met, or haven't seen in over 12 years. It turns out that my family here is VERY artistic. I always thought that my artistic side came from my Norwegian roots, and I guess I was right. My cousin Inga is a high school art teacher where she also teaches biology, and as it turns out it is very common here for teachers to teach more then one subject.

But this post will be about my cousin Gry Marie Grindbakken. Gry (Pronounced G-R-I) is a jewelry designer, and she makes necklaces and belt buckles for the traditional Norwegian dress called a Bunad. Bunad's go upwards of $10,000 - $20,000! Last year the Royal Norwegian Family came and visited this part of Norway called Kragero, and Gry was asked by the city to make a special gift for the Royal Family. But once you get one you have it for life, its an investment here.

This shows a traditional bunad. This woman has no jewelry on from what I can see. So I hope you enjoy the photos that I took in the studio yesterday while visiting with Gry.

My great aunt, cousin Haakon and sister Heather going into the studio.


Gry in her studio. My family here has some of the nicest people I have ever met, Gry being one of them!

Just some of Gry's workbench.

This is where she does her lamp working.

Part Two tomorrow- Gry's work!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...