Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Will Learn To Knit This Year

by Karen Mahoney of City by the Sea Ceramics

In addition to my numerous professional goals I made for myself this year, I also made a goal to learn how to knit. Why did I suddenly decide I'm going to learn how to knit? You know how some people see babies and just gasp because their cuteness is just too much to contain? I'm like that with llamas. I freaking LOVE llamas. They are just too adorable and I want to go give them a hug on their silly looking necks. After seeing BH'ers Diane post about seeing a llama at a wool festival and Beth post about buying some llama wool, I made a vow to get some llama yarn and make a scarf. Not the conventional pull towards knitting, but I'm drawn none the less.


When I was still pretty young my mom showed me a few things about knitting and helped me start a scarf. I'm not sure if it was a general adolescent boredom or the handmade bug hadn't hit me yet, but I didn't remember what she had showed me and the scarf was never finished. A few years after that she gave me a beginners knitting kit for Christmas. It was for a purple and pink striped shoulder bag. I never started it, but I did save it, carrying it with me for that last 10 or so years, moving it from closet to closet, apartment to apartment, state to state.

The kit's day has come! I will learn how to knit and I will learn with my shoulder bag kit. It has a DVD included so I hope to be able to take the skills it shows me and combine it with some advice from the friendly knitters in Boston Handmade, some tidbits from some library books, and knit myself one awesome llama scarf. I will keep you posted on my projects!

3 comments :

  1. Please start! Knitting is awesome. satisfying. creative. . suggestion - begin a short scarf, will be done in a few hours.Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! I learned using the videos on knittinghelp.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your decision to start knitting! It's a fantastic craft. I'd like to invite you to visit http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com. There we have videos, illustrations, and written instructions to support your knitting efforts. And, of course, we're always happy to answer any questions you have about knitting. Best of luck! You'll be knitting that scarf in no time.

    With warm regards,
    Jess H.
    Lion Brand Yarn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...